Armed Forces Locator




Locate Answers


I forgot to ask for mileage check the last time to the VA appointment. How do I get it? I live more than 100 miles one way from the nearest VA facility.



A1:  I would say fill out the form that you should have filled out at the appointment. If not to far back not sure how long but fill out with the date and time of appointment and sign it and date it. Turn in at desk but don't wait too long or they may deny it and could possibly deny for not doing it right away. I was told at VA Hospital in Seattle that when they switched over that you would not have to fill out the claim for travel mileage and found out that was a lie from the VA so I always fill out a claim form for mileage every time I have a scheduled appointment to be on the safe side.  (JRM)  12/3/16

A2:  You can submit the VAF 10-3542 to the travel office at the facility. It has to be submitted within 30 days or it will be denied for not being submitted in a timely fashion.  (AP)  12/3/16

A3:  You need to contact the travel office at the VA hospital, I believe that you have to file within 30 days of appt.  (NB)  12/3/16

A4:   You may apply for travel reimbursement by completing VA Form 10-3542, Veteran/Beneficiary Claim for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses.

The travel reimbursement form replaces older versions and local forms and improves the process for Veterans applying for mileage reimbursement at more than one VA facility.

Methods to request travel pay:

Visit the Beneficiary Travel Office ( after completing an appointment, or
Call the Beneficiary Travel Office (this method will require an added step to complete and sign the travel reimbursement form), or
Send the travel reimbursement form via either secure fax or mail to the local Beneficiary Travel Office.

Applications for payment must be submitted within 30 calendar days from the date the travel is completed or the date the applicant is notified he or she is eligible for travel payments if the request is based on a change in eligibility. For assistance in completing the form, call 1-877-222-8387.  (LCP)  12/3/16

A5:  You must have had an appointment and once you are about ready to return home, you check in at the Travel Office at the VA where your appointment was.  (JK)  12/5/16

A6:  Veterans has to be at least 30% service-connected to receive travel pay other than for C&p's.  (DW)  4/24/17



If you know the answer to the above question please complete form below.


DISCLAIMER: Information displayed on, and any of their associated websites is for general informational purposes only, and is not legal advice. Posts and surveys made on these websites are opinions or suggestions of users of these websites and are not representations, opinions or suggestions of U.S. Government Forums, Inc. We make no endorsements or recommendations of any service member, attorney, law firm, claims specialists or organization working with veterans. does NOT represent or warrant, and makes no claims, promises or guarantees about, the usefulness, completeness, adequacy or accuracy of any information, posts, surveys, topics, comments, blogs or responses contained in or linked to these websites, or the competency, qualifications or identity of any person providing information or making a post, survey, topic, comment, blog or response contained in or linked to these websites. assumes NO liability, and expressly disclaims any and all responsibility, for the content of all posts, surveys, topics, comments, blogs or responses. does not monitor, pre-screen or moderate posts, surveys, topics, comments, blogs or responses. This website is not affiliated, authorized, or endorsed by the United States government, the U.S. Department of Defense, or the Veterans Affairs (VA) administrative offices. Also, this website is not affiliated or knowingly endorsed by any branch of the U.S Armed Forces.

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions